Tuesday, May 4, 2010

In Dire Need of a Blog Update

Woah. It has been WAY too long since my last blog post. Man! Not even one post in April? What the heck was I doing in April? Oh yeah...

I was in Florida for April vacation for 10 days visiting my grandparents in Englewood. I decided not to take my laptop with me, which was a really good decision. I made it to the beach almost every day, visited the Ringling home and museum in Sarasota with my grandmother, and read four books! It was really quite lovely. Here's a pic of me and my mem (meme, memere...French...ish for grandmother) watching the sun set. It was a bit windy. Oh, did I mention they live on a key? So nice.


Being without a computer for 10 days made me realize I need to make an effort to spend less time on my computer, especially since I work on it all day, and more time being outside, reading, and knitting! Speaking of knitting, I did manage to get a bit more of my mother's socks knit. They were supposed to be done for her birthday on February 11. D'oh! I don't even know if I'll get them finished for Mother's Day!


The weekend following my return from Florida, I had an ultimate frisbee tournament in Lewes, Delaware. The team that I play with in Maine, Mogwai, drove down for the weekend and we stayed in Ocean City. It was really great to play outdoors with the people I've spent most of my ultimate "career" playing with. And it was nice to see everyone, too. We played well and came in 3rd overall...maybe out of 16ish teams? I also got to see Theresa Applegate, which was a nice surprise.

The weekend after that...two weekends ago, I took the Mega Bus up to Maine to play in ANOTHER tourney with Mogwai. Let me just say a little sumpin sumpin about Mega Bus. It is freaking awesome! First of all, it is a double decker. And you better believe I rode on the the 2nd level. Second, it's mega cheap. I bought a ticket from Baltimore to NYC for $1. I'm not even kidding. And I got a ticket from NYC to Boston for $9. It's insane. I know. AND! There's free wi-fi! I watched The Office on Hulu. AND! Even though the bus in NY was an hour late, I met a really cool couple, Joe and Patricia (Joey & Patty) who were on their way to visit Joey's 90-something year old mother in Boston. We chatted about the city, ultimate, how Joey new Casey Affleck. Good times.

We kicked some major booty at the tourney! Came in second out of twenty teams. And the team we played in the finals is going to an ultimate WORLD tourney! We scored 9 points to their 13 and at one point, the one female sub we did have was injured and we had to play IRONWOMAN (that means...no subs). It was painful. Ha. But, I'm pretty impressed with our team. Looking forward to the upcoming season. I didn't get any ultimate pictures, but check out this pic I took on the side of route 17 in mid-coast Maine.

I drive by this every time I drive to Medomak and I've always wanted to take a picture.

Now I shall talk about the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival, which was this past weekend. I have been hearing how crazy this festival is since I moved down to Maryland last November. A crapton of vendors, crazy amounts of animals, lots of tasty food (mmm...lamb kabobs), and an almost guaranteed chance that I would spend a fortune on bags and bags of yarn. Also, I was warned about the crowds...

I'm not great with crowds. I'm not claustrophobic. I don't mind being in close proximity to other people; however, I really despise not being able to get to where I want to get to in the time that it would normally take were there not 1,000 people in my way. Because the crowds were so nutso on Saturday, I spent most of my time in Demetrio's vending area, spinning some Cormo that I bought from Apple Rose Fibers and sharing info about the Medomak Fiber Arts Retreat with interested fiber-fans. And I didn't buy ANYTHING! Gasp! Also, it was about a bajillion degrees outside and wicked humid so any motion past treadling my spinning wheel was completely out of the question.

Sunday was much better. It was still a pretty warm day, but there were significantly less people to get in my way...heh. So I returned to some of the vendors I had scoped out on Saturday to talk to them about the retreat. And made a new friend in the process! Steph, or Loop on Etsy, is a fiber artist who specializes in hand-carded batts and machine-carded "clouds." The stuff she creates is magnificent. And I'm fairly certain she'll be coming on the retreat this year!! Woohoo! One of the first things she said to me? ..."Hey you're taller than me." After chatting about where to buy long pants, the annoyance of having wide shoulders, and sharing in our giddiness for the fiber art retreat, we parted ways, me to visit other vendors and her to buy some tasty refreshments :) But I didn't leave empty handed. I bought four delicious batts from her. And I'm hoping to visit her studio in the Lower Hudson Valley somewhere in the near future. Man! I love my job.

This one's called "Solitude."


And this one's "Pot of Gold." I think I'll end up plying those two together.


And this is "Purple Heart."


And here's "Tsunami." I bought the purple and black thinking I'd make a Mogwai hat. Those are our team colors. I don't know if I'll ply the colors together or keep them separate...?

So there you have it folks! I've got one more month of working in the office down here in Maryland and then I'll be on my way back to Maine for the summer! I'm so excited!

I'll end this post with this picture of me and Holly. She taught me how to make butter from cream...from the Stone's dairy cow. Mmmm. We look a little crazed...


No comments:

Post a Comment